Broody Hens

Brynhoyt

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
I have two Cuckoo Maran hens who constantly trade off being broody. I’ve been doing the dog crate method, usually within 2-3 days they are broken of it and go right back into the flock (2 golden sexlink, 2 cuckoo maran). But once one is over it the other one starts up. It’s been non stop since April. We get the eggs as fast as we can but still it’s not helping. Any other suggestion? The Sexlinks haven’t been broody once. Is this just typical of the Maran breed?

:( I was afraid this would be the answer. I’m about done with them because I can’t keep doing the dog crate. Maybe they would be better suited in a home that will allow them to be momma’s. Do you have any other suggestions of breeds that don’t typically go broody? Or should I stick with sexlinks? I would like to replace these two if I get rid of them.

I’m about done with them because I can’t keep doing the dog crate. Maybe they would be better suited in a home that will allow them to be momma’s.
I've had a serial broody, it was a PITA...can't imagine having 2 of them.
I finally gave her away, after breaking her 7 times after she hatched in spring, to someone who wanted a broody. She never went broody again.

I used to use the air compressor on my broody brahma hens (low psi of course). They would draw blood when trying to move them and seemed to always know where your glove ended and the skin began. So i would slip the end of the hose under them and give them a little puff! 2-3X was enough to break them.
Now i let them hatch out as many as they can. We always need the meat.

I have one that I surmise is going broody right now. I forgot one day to get eggs and it seems like we went for it. I’m not sure if she is full on broody but she in the past few days has been spending more time in the box. She’s not aggressive at all and seems to be getting picked on a bit by another hen. She is also lowest in the pecking order it seems so im wondering if she is going in there to simply get away.

I am going to keep taking her out as long as she will allow me as I do not have any roosters so sitting on eggs is a waste.

I have one that I surmise is going broody right now. I forgot one day to get eggs and it seems like we went for it. I’m not sure if she is full on broody but she in the past few days has been spending more time in the box. She’s not aggressive at all and seems to be getting picked on a bit by another hen. She is also lowest in the pecking order it seems so im wondering if she is going in there to simply get away.

I am going to keep taking her out as long as she will allow me as I do not have any roosters so sitting on eggs is a waste.
Is she spending the night in there? Any of these other signs: flattening down or puffing up when you reach in, bare patch on the belly, tik-tik-tik sound?

If yes, I'd recommend caging her to break broodiness. A cage might also help if she's getting bullied to the point where she doesn't feel safe.

Thanks @rosemarythyme. She is definitely tik tik tikng and goes into the nest box, but I snatch her out lovingly right away and either put her back into the coop on her roost or in the run when the ladies are outside. She is not that adamant, and does not flatten or really puff up. No bare patches. I have 4 three week old chicks that will be visiting the coop in the next couple of days so the dynamic will change. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom