broody hens

innourish

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2022
Is it true that hens go broody their crops (red top of head) get pale and why? Is it true that broody hens do not lay eggs when they are sitting? Two are laying and then go walkabout. Two new hens get on eggs and get kicked off when laying hens come back. Do I need to make food and water available for the sitting hen or just leave them alone? My rooster has been gone for two weeks. The new Hens have been here three days and have had four roosters in their flock...so I am hoping for a few chicks. Not sure who will raise them as the laying hens are now sitting and that leaves the broody two sitting on the perch waiting for something to do. I'm learning as I go.

Attachments

• chooks.jpg
    chooks.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 19
You mean combs, not crops. And yes, the color change is a hormone thing. They also stop laying eggs during that time.
Most broody hens will get off the nest once per day and get themselves food and drink so you don't need to put anything near the nest.

Thanks, Rosemary: all hens are out in the rain. No one sitting. Looked at all the eggs and nothing going on in any of them. I give up. I am sure I don't need more hens and would have to get rid of the roosters. I just gave mine to a farm up north in New Zealand where he is roaming free. Going to use the eggs to make banana cake. Yum! I do enjoy them in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom