Broody Hens

sdsanders1977

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2022
Hi all! I have 3 broody hens, they are each in their own nesting boxes and the chicks should be hatching any day now. Once I get them out of the nesting boxes when babies are a couple of days old, I have a very large area for them to go to that is separate from the rest of my flock. My question is this: will these three hens be okay with each others babies?

Hi all! I have 3 broody hens, they are each in their own nesting boxes and the chicks should be hatching any day now. Once I get them out of the nesting boxes when babies are a couple of days old, I have a very large area for them to go to that is separate from the rest of my flock. My question is this: will these three hens be okay with each others babies?
Most likely, yes. My friend breeds chickens and the babies just stay next to their mothers and she even has them with the other chickens ( not the roo )

Yes, if they hatch close together, generally they will be fine. But sometimes it doesn't work.

If they are hatching on different days - it might be more tricky, and you may have to separate them until the chicks are a week old and KNOW who mother is.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom