broody hens.....

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
I hear that Silkies and most Game breeds generally go broody the most. All breeds of hens can go broody though.

But it all depends on what you want in a broody. Do you want a hen that will hatch, raise, hatch, raise, etc. all year long? Get a Silkie. (I'm not sure if Game breeds go broody this much, as I know very little about Game breeds) Or do you want a broody which will probably raise 1 or 2 hatches a year? Do you want only 1 specific hen to be your "broody"?

Our flock is very mixed in breeds. We have Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Red Stars, Columbian Wyandottes, and a few others plus many mixes of those listed above.

So far this year we've had 2 hens successfully hatch chicks (1 has raised hers, they're 6 weeks old now; the other just finished hatching hers a couple days ago), and 4 broodies. I expect we'll have even more hens going broody soon. And a couple months ago I was on a serious search for acquiring some Silkies. Now I don't know, lol. We'll have chicks coming out our ears.

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
13 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
I've heard that silkies, cochins, game breeds, and buff orpingtons usually go broody and make good mothers.
smile.png
All depends on the hen herself.

azelgin

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
S.E. AZ
Quote:
Your Dutch bantams will for sure. I've unfortunatly had good luck with my Golden Laced Wyandottes. 3 out of five this spring. I was hoping they lay instead.
tongue.png

Top Bottom