broody hens

We must have more information in order to make a suggestion!
frow.gif

We have six hens and no rooster, the girls are about 8-9 months old.
We have 2 brood nests where we keep 2 golf balls in each. One of the girls went broody yesterday. Is there some way we can stop them from going broody and/or get her out of the brood mode and back into the standard mode of just laying eggs????????? HELP!! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Why would you leave golf balls in the nest if you don't want them broody? That's just asking for trouble!
lol.png
You can try penning her separately and see if it ticks her off enough to stop being broody. Or you can buy some fertile eggs and let her hatch some babies!

Thanks for the input -- we just went out and she was no longer sitting on the nest, there was an egg there (don't know if it was hers) -- and yes we did remove the golf balls.

My girls started to lay their eggs in my flower bed. I thought they were mad at me for taking their eggs so they were hiding them. I thought that I had been told to put golf balls in the place where the girls should/used to lay to remind them that is the spot. It worked and they have been mostly good ever since. I did however have one of my BO go broody (I think) this week. Did the golf balls cause or encourage this?

Back
Top Bottom