Broody Hens

swdunn0926

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Fayetteville
Ok I am glad I am not the only one having this problem. I have 16 hens that are old enough ( 1 year to three years old) to lay and for the last 2 weeks I have only gotten 1,2,or 3 eggs a day. I have had almost all of my hens go broody, two (the first two) I allowed to hatch chicks. But the others need to get to laying. I have people wanting eggs and heck my family eats the mess out of eggs. Any clue as what to do? I take them off the nest and they get right back on. Help me folks they eat alot of laying mesh and I hate that they just wont lay. Actually they are fine if they dont lay I just dont want any more babies right now! The two hens that I allowed to hatch chicks have supplied me with 47 chicks ( mind you I added a few after they hatched that a friend gave me, blue Orph's)!!!

Last edited:
Aloha swdunn0926,

There are many ways to break up broodies. I know of two.. A) Isolation B) Cold water ( I used this once a while back but never again I didn't feel it was right)
I use the Isolation solution though, it is when you have a cage for a Broody hen(s) so they won't go back to the nest. Keep them in there for a week w/ food/water of course. after a week see if they go back in and if needed repeat.

I had to keep a really broody hen in there for almost a month. but she came around. I know there are other ways but I like Isolation better cause they tend to get back to laying after that.

Hope this helps..

Back
Top Bottom