Broody Hen's

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
It started late Feb I noticed my little buff cochin sitting in the nest box all flattened out. So, I thought to myself she can't be broody already. Then the next day I go out I notice Polly sitting in the nest box with my buff cochin, so I decided to test the water and stick my hand in there only to come back with bloody knuckles. I just let them sit in there besides that there were no eggs in there. The next day I went out, there sat my little black cochin, in the same box. So now I have three bantam hen's sitting in the same box even though there were 3 nest boxe's. No matter how many times I seperated them, they all ended up in the same nest box. So, I took 6 egg's out of the big coop, and put in each box. It worked, all three were happy and stayed in their own box until hatching day. Polly did great she hatched all of her egg's and 3 little chick's. Buff cochin hatched, but wasn't a very good momma, she lost all of hers. It was very cold here. The little black cochin faithfully sat on those eggs, but they didn't hatch out. So now, Polly is the proud momma of three little chicks, and Buff had to have a piece of the acton, and she also sits in the nest box with Polly, and they both take care of the 3 little chick's. Went out last night, and I am missing my little black cochin hen, where do I find her...in the nest box with Polly and Buff taking care of the 3 little chick's. I am right back where I started. Have you ever been flogged by three banty hen's at the same time? I got it last night trying to seperate them all. Those girl's are tough. Now, I came up with an idea for the three girls. I hatched out some egg's, and got about 12 chick's, I decided to put the chicks with the hen's last night, and see what happens I take them out there, and Polly and Buff would have nothing to do with them. The black cochin so wanted to be a momma, I gathered her up, and started putting the chick's under her, and she loved it. She was so good to those little guys. I was worried because it is still cold here, but she kept them nice and toasty. Now, everyone is happy, except me I am still coming back with bloody knuckles.....lol

What a lovely story!
love.gif

Could we have some pictures, please?
pop.gif

Also there is a thread on the incubationg bit all about broodies...I'm sure some of them would love to read your story
caf.gif

Love it! More story and pictures please!

I also have 3 broodies right now, the first one hatched out 5 babies this week and I gave her 2 pullet chicks from the feed store to foster. The other two hens kept getting off the nest and coming back to different nests, so now they are in broody boxes with food and water and only 1 nest each!

One hen is on 12 Cuckoo Maran eggs and the the other hen is on 3 EE eggs and 7 bantam eggs.

Back
Top Bottom