Broody in December

artsvarc

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Eastern Iowa, USA
Edit *is this enough room?*

I've got a 8 mo old Wyandotte that has decided to go broody. I'm planning on getting a crate today to break her. It's going to be 4° overnight here in Iowa in a few days. My question is.... will she be OK, on her own? She won't have others to warm up next to. The coop temp stays relatively close to outside temp. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20201221_122534.jpg
    20201221_122534.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It's not to sit on eggs. It's to break her from broody. I'm getting a bigger crate so she can stand up. I couldn't figure out how to delete the thread before people call me an animal abuser.

Yes, that is big enough to break a broody. You need food and water, nothing else. A broody knows to not poop in her nest but he does not know to not poop in her food or water so expect to change those out.

It looks like that is inside the coop. You don't want her in a cold wind so she should be fine in there even in those temperatures.

That is not abuse. You are not trying to make her comfortable, you are trying to break her from being broody. Give her food and water and she will be OK.

It's not to sit on eggs. It's to break her from broody. I'm getting a bigger crate so she can stand up. I couldn't figure out how to delete the thread before people call me an animal abuser.
Oh I’m sorry. I miss read. I would just consistently keep putting her with the other flock and she will eventually break.

No need to delete your thread, any nasty posts can be reported.
She'll be fine in there for a couple days, as long as she can turn around to eat and drink.
Yes, a bigger crate would be better....next size up maybe.
I use a 24"L x 18"W x 21"H.

No need to delete your thread, any nasty posts can be reported.
She'll be fine in there for a couple days, as long as she can turn around to eat and drink.
Yes, a bigger crate would be better....next size up maybe.
I use a 24"L x 18"W x 21"H.
Thank you. I did go exchange it for the next size up. My coop isn't huge though but it'll have to do for a few days.

Yes, that is big enough to break a broody. You need food and water, nothing else. A broody knows to not poop in her nest but he does not know to not poop in her food or water so expect to change those out.

It looks like that is inside the coop. You don't want her in a cold wind so she should be fine in there even in those temperatures.

That is not abuse. You are not trying to make her comfortable, you are trying to break her from being broody. Give her food and water and she will be OK.
Thank you. I did go exchange for the next size up.

Your pic shows a roost inside the crate. I would advise taking
that out. The purpose of crating her is to make her uncomfortable.
She'll break much faster without the roost.

Back
Top Bottom