Broody in late July? How to kick her off pile?

amiachicknorwat

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
She keeps protectively pecking at my hand. I suppose I could use a shovel handle, but I already feel like I'm disrupting a natural process, but it isn't it too hot a season for broodyness to successful conclusion? ... There, I did it. One mere egg forming the so called "pile". I guess the trick it to size the pile to the bird, but it's hard to catch them off to take a count. Maybe with some feeding tricks I can size the pile to the size of bird, in this case bantam. Then I could be successful any time of year? Is this phenom cuz of climate change? Like don't they normally, usually, traditionally :) get broody in spring? Thanks for any answers to all my Q'ing here. Nick

It’s more common in spring, but they can get broody in summer (it isn’t uncommon for them to do so). Autumn and winter are unlikely times for them to get broody, but it is never impossible (every year I have a few hens get broody in both seasons). You can try wearing gloves. If you don’t have any gloves to wear and can try reaching underneath her from behind her and feeling how many eggs she has underneath her. If you don’t want to hatch chicks I would make a broody cage for her.

1/3 of my hens are currently broody - lol! I have 2 who are pretty much broody all year round.

If she's broody, she's not laying, so your pile wouldn't get larger unless other hens are laying in the same nest. She can be successful, but you should probably separate her if you want her to hatch. Otherwise, I agree with @Chookchicken and break her asap.

It’s more common in spring, but they can get broody in summer (it isn’t uncommon for them to do so). Autumn and winter are unlikely times for them to get broody, but it is never impossible (every year I have a few hens get broody in both seasons). You can try wearing gloves. If you don’t have any gloves to wear and can try reaching underneath her from behind her and feeling how many eggs she has underneath her. If you don’t want to hatch chicks I would make a broody cage for her.
Sorry to disappoint you but, broodiness, isn’t related to climate change or covid.
It's Nature, Nature at its finest.
I've had a Polish(notoriously terrible mothers) go into a stubborn boordiness and is currently and successfully raising 8 chicks right now. I have a Sex Link go broody and I've given her five chicks 3 days ago. I just had an EEger sitting for 2 weeks. I took her out. Isolated her in a dog crate, lifted the crate off the floor. Took the tray out and gave her a 2x4 to sit,sleep or walk on. I ran a fan under the dog crate. I took her out several times a day and held her while petting her and rubbing her under carriage with a cool pack.
I fed her scrambled eggs, layena chicken crumbles, plain yogurt, chilled watermelon and made sure her water stayed cool.
I even put a bin of ice cubes under the crate! This was the second time she went broodie in two months.
I do not believe any Climate Change ideas had anything to do with her Broodiness. I call it Nature, Nature at it's best!
I'm in Florida with our usual July/August 98 degree weather.

Sorry to disappoint you but, broodiness, isn’t related to climate change or covid.
It's Nature, Nature at its finest.
I've had a Polish(notoriously terrible mothers) go into a stubborn boordiness and is currently and successfully raising 8 chicks right now. I have a Sex Link go broody and I've given her five chicks 3 days ago. I just had an EEger sitting for 2 weeks. I took her out. Isolated her in a dog crate, lifted the crate off the floor. Took the tray out and gave her a 2x4 to sit,sleep or walk on. I ran a fan under the dog crate. I took her out several times a day and held her while petting her and rubbing her under carriage with a cool pack.
I fed her scrambled eggs, layena chicken crumbles, plain yogurt, chilled watermelon and made sure her water stayed cool.
I even put a bin of ice cubes under the crate! This was the second time she went broodie in two months.
I do not believe any Climate Change ideas had anything to do with her Broodiness. I call it Nature, Nature at it's best!
I'm in Florida with our usual July/August 98 degree weather.
Did you mean to quote my post? I don’t think I said anything about climate change 🤔

Much thanks for the replies. Funny that's just what I thought i saw in the nesting box, a wolverine. Thanks for the laugh. I'm extremely disappointed when people don't pay enuf attn to see the climate is changing, & for the worse. We're definitely losing the fertility needed to grow food & too many people are too boxed & AC'ed in their lives to see, for instance, dead wild birds, caught out of their migratory patterns & late spring frosts with no "April showers", so many fruit trees didn't set. Maybe the changes are more noticeable in the CDN Rockies than in Florida, but they are real & much due to deforestation. Like my avatar says....

Back
Top Bottom