Broody Japense quail hatched out a chick! Finally!

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
I'm terribly excited and really happy! Buttons has been broody three times, the first two times she gave up/had to be stopped, but... Third time lucky!

LONG STORY

A few weeks ago, Buttons, once again, displayed her broody behaviour, in which she would behave aggressively towards the male and tend to play around in the corner of the cage. I left the eggs in that the other hens would come and lay on and she eventually sat on them. When they were due to hatch, none hatched. I was disappointed. I gave her another week, thinking that they may just be late, but still nothing. Just yesterday, I packed up the little water feeder and crumbled food that was supposed to be for the chicks... But when I came home from school, to my surprise, I found that the incubator was in the living room, holding a little baby quail!

I was definitely in shock! And really happy! I asked mum, and she said that in the morning, she saw the little baby running around outside with my broody hen, and apparently she was running around as well. Apparently Buttons was scared, and therefore, mum thought she might abandon the other eggs, so quickly she set up the make shift brooder using the incubator and put little Valentine inside (obviously named the baby after the special day!).

When I came home, I recorded Valentine, because he or she is just adorable, however, she kept calling to her mum. After recording, I played back the video outside to her mum (just out of curiosity), and instantly, Buttons called back in this low grunting noise, somewhat panicked. So, I brought Valentine outside to be with her mother. Quickly, she nuzzled into her mums feathers and managed to hide underneath her wing, both going quiet and little Valentine falling asleep.

SHORT STORY

A single baby quail hatched from a broody quail! She was named Valentine because of the date she was born on. They are bonding well for now...

--

So far, Buttons is being a goodish mother, and I do mean 'ish'. Occasionally she will jump rapidly to eat and drink but return to her nest after some time, other time's she'll have this crazed moment where she runs around randomly and tries to dust bath in which she gives up on. Valentine hatched a week later than expected... I'm presuming that under an inexperienced broody hen, who continued to have really long breaks, AND sit at random times may have slowed down the process? I'm hoping another chick will hatch, so that when they must be moved to the brooder, they'll have each other as company, so Valentine doesn't call all night (which is what she's doing right now). I will bring Valentine in at night for the sake of safety (mice, and weather). Buttons is being protective at some points, other times she'll ignore Valentine. She will grunt aggressively towards any of the other sticky beak quail who poke their heads in (she basically always has been annoyed at everyone). Even when Cookie, my chicken, walked behind me, Buttons stood up, puffed herself up and almost charged towards Cookie... Who obviously wasn't paying attention and was far away.

--

Any ways, sorry for the long, boring post. I'm just really excited since broody Japanese quail are rare, and for them to hatch out chicks is a rarity. I'm crossing my fingers (but hopefully not jinxing it), that some more chicks will hatch. The eggs aren't all hers, so I can't wait to see what colours will come from this.

Also, any advice on how to keep a lone chick company? I've stuck in one of those cheap easter chick things, but she isn't falling for it, even if it is the same size as her... I would let her sleep with her foster mother, but I don't want to risk it since Buttons can trample her when she's doing her random pacing, but I'll let the two socialize tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations! My momma just hatched 8. She too chases daddy when she wants to sit but I add him back in a day or 2 after she gets off the nest and he helps wonderful. Mine are a week old.

Thanks, and congratulations to you as well!
Another one hatched today. I found Buttons walking awkwardly around, all fluffed up, and letting off low grunting noises, but then I found another baby underneath her. I took her in, since it was about to rain, so I've named her Rain. c:

I don't exactly trust Buttons to take care of these babies. She is a coturnix quail, so basically I have no idea where her broody instincts came from since they're generally quite domesticated. What happened when Valentine was still with her, was that Valentine was hiding in her mother's wing, then her mother randomly got up and ran around, Valentine still in her wing, and then Valentine just popped onto the floor and Buttons still ran around. Hmph.

Awesome :) I wish my coturnix were broody I bet its so cute watching them snuggle up to buttons, please keep posting pics so we can see valentine and rains progress :)

Haha, thanks! I think the whole broody process has messed up Buttons. She'll randomly get up, run around, then dust bathe, then return to her eggs. I tried to stop her from dust bathing but she refuses to stop, but still, two eggs managed to hatch. Rain and Valentine are in the brooder, learning from each other. When I took them out to play, I played back a video of Buttons and Valentine eating together, and the two chicks tried to eat from the screen. It was adorable! I'll try recording it to share. :)

Wow, CONGRATS! Thats HUGE! I am excited for you lol. I would be thrilled if I got a broody quail!

What is your cage/pen like if your don't mind me asking? Some people say that conditions can encourage broody hens so I'd like to see yours and @Lovable Chicks if I could!

my pair are in a guinea pig cage. I have a wooden box with fake flowers leaving a small opening.

this picture is momma and her first baby laying on top of the box.

Back
Top Bottom