Broody mama attacking her chick

Epwb76

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Our broody hen has been sitting on a handful of eggs for a few weeks, but only one developed. We wanted to give her a few chicks to raise, so we left the developed egg, knowing it would hatch any time, and replaced the others with day old chicks from the feed store. We slipped them under her 2 nights ago and she’s been a good, happy mama. She alternated between being a mom to the chicks and sitting in the egg. This morning, her egg hatched and she didn’t seem to want anything to do with her own chick. We bought it inside to let it fluff up under the brooder. I tried taking it back out later and she attacked it. I know you should introduce them at night, but I thought she’d know this was hers…? The baby is okay and back under the brooder. But should I attempt to re-introduce it tonight like we did with the others or do we stand the chance of her attacking it again in the morning? Poor little thing. I feel like I may have accidentally robbed it of its own mama by adding the other chicks too soon. 🙁

There may have been too big a gap in your hens mind for her to bond with the chick that hatched, having had the other chicks for a couple of days. You could try putting it under her in the dark but I would observe her for a little while before leaving her for the night and be back out there at first light to make sure she isn't attacking it again.

If she won't accept it I would take the two chicks you bought and bring all 3 up together in the brooder. It may seem mean for your hen, but in the end it is fairer for your chick so it isn't alone. Unless you want to buy a couple more as friends for it.

There may have been too big a gap in your hens mind for her to bond with the chick that hatched, having had the other chicks for a couple of days. You could try putting it under her in the dark but I would observe her for a little while before leaving her for the night and be back out there at first light to make sure she isn't attacking it again.

If she won't accept it I would take the two chicks you bought and bring all 3 up together in the brooder. It may seem mean for your hen, but in the end it is fairer for your chick so it isn't alone. Unless you want to buy a couple more as friends for it.
I’m kind of scared to put the baby in there with her again. I do have another hen that start growling over her eggs today, so I might have another broody. Maybe I’ll buy another chick and try giving both to that hen. If it doesn’t work out with her, at least I’ll have 2 together in the brooder.

I agree as we had the same problem last year, except for the hen didn’t want to sit on a feed store chick.

Back
Top Bottom