Broody momma calling it quits

As long as it isn't getting cold at night where you are, I would wager that they are all set to sleep on their own. Sounds like the broody knows what she is doing. If you aren't having any integration issues, I would definitely take this opportunity and keep them in the big coop. (I am dealing with integration issues and it is absolutely awful.) Also, don't be surprised if once they get up on the roost they continue to try sleeping under mama... it is quite a funny sight! Good luck!

thanks. That's kind of why I was concerned about not being fully feathered, they do still sleep under momma and it doesn't get cold-cold but it can get to 40's at night.

well, momma flipped back and forth between the 2 coops before settling on the big coop. Babies eventually figured out how to get up and when they tried sitting under momma, there was quite the fuss with the hens pecking at all of them. after 3 babies got pushed off the roost, momma finally got down and took them to the broody coop.

So now I have to figure out how to keep them in there without getting attacked. do I put them in first or wait until dark and set them all in

thank you very much. This momma started laying 2 days ago. the first night was in the broody coop. Now tonight, the 2nd momma decided she might want to be alone too but these little bantams are having a tough time getting in the coop, then when they do, they turn around and run right back out lol But i mostly left them alone tonight. But i set them on the roost with her and she jumped down and took them back to the broody coop to settle with them. I'll let them be and if I find babies (and Im sure I will) in the broodys alone, I'll move them after dark. thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom