Broody momma doesn’t want her babies. What do I do?

Sorry. Let me clarify. The other 2 hens who kept wanting to help out were crushing the eggs while they shuffled around my broody. Of the 10 she started with we lost 4 before I pulled them. They were already a week on when I did. Once the babies started to pip I put the eggs back under her to finish hatching. Only 4 made it to that point. I placed the eggs in front of her & she rolled them underneath her. However, as soon as the babies hatched & started moving underneath her she didn’t like it. At 1st she simply kept tucking them back under her when they tried to look out from her feathers. After a few hours though she started pecking at them. I removed them from her at that point. Thing is I had those other 2 hens who were very interested in all the peeping coming from her feathers. She may have felt threatened by them. Not sure. Last night I placed them again under her & this time no reaction. Checked again this morning at dawn & she was doing just fine with them. Going to keep checking on them all day to be sure.
I think that's why many people separate their mamas. Sounds like all is going well now. Keep us updated!

I think that's why many people separate their mamas. Sounds like all is going well now. Keep us updated!
Update. Checked her again @ 8:30am. Seems to be doing alright now. All 4 babies under her & warm. Only saw 1 concerning behavior. When another hen was trying to lay her egg with my broody one of the chicks poked it’s head out to investigate. It got cold & tried to go under the other hen. Broody gave the baby a small peck & preened it’s head to guide it back under her. Then was just fine. Chick didn’t even peep. I think the pecking is because she’s trying to guide her babies where it’s safe but being a 1st time mom doesn’t quite know how.

I incubated and hatched 5 eggs, they actually zipped and hatched in my hands. I then gave them to the broody who was sitting on 2 of her own, and she accepted them readily. This is a broody that i trust, and trusts me in return....

So I guess the answer is, they probably don’t know if it’s their eggs, but some are more ready to reject chicks than others.
How interesting 🤠

Update. Checked her again @ 8:30am. Seems to be doing alright now. All 4 babies under her & warm. Only saw 1 concerning behavior. When another hen was trying to lay her egg with my broody one of the chicks poked it’s head out to investigate. It got cold & tried to go under the other hen. Broody gave the baby a small peck & preened it’s head to guide it back under her. Then was just fine. Chick didn’t even peep. I think the pecking is because she’s trying to guide her babies where it’s safe but being a 1st time mom doesn’t quite know how.
that’s super sweet <3 glad momma is taking them in!

that’s super sweet <3 glad momma is taking them in!
Update. Momma won’t take care of them. She lets them get under her at night but during the day wants nothing to do with them. Instead my other buff orphington & one of my proven mommas a red speckled Sussex takes care of them during the day. Their doing good. Rest of my flock including big daddy are looking after the babies.

Back
Top Bottom