Broody Muscovy

Duckieduck

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
I made a mistake and gave my muscovy some fake eggs and now she's gone broody. She started making this high pitched cheep and sitting on the nest and laying two new eggs every day. What shall I do? I took the eggs away but she's still cheeping and sitting on the nest. Ive only had ducks for a few months. I feel bad for her. Im wondering if I need to give her some eggs to hatch, like buy some fertilized duck eggs for her? I have four females (only one muscovy). Anyone have any advice for me?

First
welcome-byc.gif

Second.....Get fertile eggs and have more ducks.. = more Happiness.

WISHING YOU BEST.....
thumbsup.gif

If you don't want babies, the duck will probably get over it in a week or two. (but monitor her eating habits. Sometimes if they get depressed they will starve themselves by sitting on the "eggs"). You can also try destroying the nesting area.

If you do want babies, then go get yourself some fertilized eggs. You can put chicken eggs under her, but their shells are thinner and could result in smashed eggs in your nest. Personally, I recommend buying fertilized muscovy eggs (or another thick shelled breed) or even just getting your own muscovy drake, if you're wanting more musky babies (they tend to be very, very sweet and loving to their hens.) Also note that if you go with a muscovy drake, they probably won't make fertile eggs with your other three hens, and if they do the ducklings would be sterile (and probably weird looking).

Personally, I would avoid keeping your ducks and chickens together. It can cause serious bacterial issues, and spread diseases from duck to chicken. Plus ducks are messy and wet, and that alone can make your chickens sick.

I made a mistake and gave my muscovy some fake eggs and now she's gone broody. She started making this high pitched cheep and sitting on the nest and laying two new eggs every day. What shall I do? I took the eggs away but she's still cheeping and sitting on the nest. Ive only had ducks for a few months. I feel bad for her. Im wondering if I need to give her some eggs to hatch, like buy some fertilized duck eggs for her? I have four females (only one muscovy). Anyone have any advice for me?
It can be a very long wait for the duck to stop being broody...like weeks. Muscovy ducks can be very, very determined broodies. If you want chicks or ducklings, you could certainly acquire some fertile eggs and let her hatch them - she'll be as happy as a clam.
smile.png
Otherwise, just keep taking her eggs away daily and she'll eventually give up.

Thanks for your reply! Do you have ducks and chicken together?

I have both ducks and chickens, and though each group has their own secure coop at night, a few of the Muscovy ducks will sometimes sleep in the chicken coop (maybe to get away from the drakes). I haven't had any problems with disease or fighting over territory. They free range together and eat together during the day, too.

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate the support. I ordered some fertilized eggs for her, they'll arrive Saturday I think. Another question - I understand it takes about 28 days for the eggs to hatch but my duck will have been sitting for a week already when I get them. Will she stay still they hatch, even if that means her sitting for longer then a month? Also, do I just wait till she's moved and then put them all in her nest? I think she's only sitting on three unfertilized eggs right now and I ordered 10!

Your duck will probably sit until they hatch. When a duck gets some eggs to sit on, she'll probably sit for well over a month trying to hatch them before she gives up. This isn't true for every duck, but mine get pretty determined on hatching eggs. I had a duck make a nest in the middle of winter without me realizing it, and got two babies out of it, so I think you won't have too many problems hatching those eggs.

Best of luck! :)

Thank you so much! Im so nervous of doing it wrong. I couldn't get muscovy hatching eggs so she'll have a funny mixed up family of different duck breeds to raise. Im glad she'll probably sit till they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom