Broody not eating or drinking water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jlovepj1027, Jul 12, 2016.

1. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Ok so I have read quite a few conflicting articles and threads of some saying remove the chicken to relieve herself, eat and drink, which I've done only she doesn't like it, I've also read not to do that or else they will just give up! This is my FIRST time broody! I've been hand feeding her cucumbers, watermelon and starter feed because it's hot and I want her happy since she's laying on 14 fertile eggs for 4 days now (went broody 7 days ago). But she has food and water very close and in sight! Do I keep forcing her to get out? Or just let her be?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Just let her be. She should get up by herself about once a day to eat, drink and poop. Sounds like everything is going great for your hen right now!

1 person likes this.
  3. Adrian Medlicot

Adrian Medlicot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    A Run
    You should also let air go near her vent and you should make her get up to eat and drink, as she will, hope she doesn´t stay broody for long!

4. Adrian Medlicot

Adrian Medlicot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    A Run
    Is she broody because of actual fertile eggs or not? Because my answer could be wrong!
    Sorry in advance!

5. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    No! We have a Roo but he's only 14 weeks! So I got some fertile eggs from a friend of mine and placed them under her since my husband is not a fan of me getting into the "incubating". So I figured it was a blessing. She has air getting to her. I just don't like to keep forcing her out if she sees its available. She is also in a comfortable private area away (but not completely out of sight) of the flock. So they can't bug her.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    A 14 week old cockerel could fertilize eggs.

7. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Are you serious?? Ahhhh! I didn't know that!! How do I know if that "magic" has happened!??? [​IMG][​IMG] good grief! I had no idea!!

8. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Is that perhaps why she went all broody?

9. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Well, me not knowing that, took her eggs and gave her some for sure fertile eggs. Only to watch him like a hawk today and catch him mounting my maran! Soooo, I may be off to get an incubator after all! Haha

10. ConcreteWaves

ConcreteWaves Just Hatched

Jul 12, 2016
    Delta, CO
    Had to post just to say, that's a trip. How funny. And good to know because I have a 7 week old roo and thought it wasn't until way older that they could fertilize eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by