Broody not eating or drinking

JRsMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I have a hen sitting on 6 eggs she has been sitting since April 8th. I separated her from the flock because my other hen was laying in her nest. She hasn't gotten off the eggs to eat or drink for a week at least, the weather here has been cool and rainy. The eggs should have started hatching on the 29th but so far nothing. How much longer should I let her sit? I am worried that she will die. Much as I want chicks, she is more important to me.

Here's the thing - if she has been on the nest for a week without ANY food or water she would be at or near death already - the fact that you are not describing that as her condition tells me that she *is* slipping off her nest occasionally. Without spending 24/7 watching her it will be all to easy to miss her little trips as she is likely being quick about it.
That being said - given the seemingly delayed hatching you are at the point where it's a matter of deciding whether you want to risk disturbing things if all is well and just a bit behind the schedule you have in mind or if you truly think that this hatch is a lost cause. Have you checked the eggs at any point to see if they were developing? You mention some disturbance early on with the other hen - and that you separated your hen - was that before or after the April 8th start date of your countdown?

Last edited:
It was after April 8th. I just checked her this morning, she is sitting in a different position than she was last night, so she is moving around, but no big poops ( or any poop) since I separated her. I don't want to give up just yet, the weather may have slowed things down a little.

Good news! I gave her a pancake this morning, she ate half of it. Was debating doing a float test on eggs, went out and stuck my hand under her and found an empty shell! First thought was oh-oh I don't hear a chick
sad.png
But then I heard faint peeping
celebrate.gif
. She was very adamant that I don't stick my hand under her anymore so I don't know how many have hatched yet but at least I know there is at least 1 good egg!

Back
Top Bottom