Broody not properly taking care of herself

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
My Black Australorp has gotten broody the last couple of years so this year, instead of trying to break her, I gave her some fertile eggs to sit on. At first, she was good with taking breaks. But now we’re on day 12 and she barely eats or drinks and has not had a bowel movement in 3 days. I tried feeding her on the nest but she barely eats that way. She’s too busy puffing up and clucking at me. So I take her off the nest and she might eat a few bites and drink a bit but then she gets back on the nest in no more than 5 minutes. She skipped one day of even getting off her nest. I’m afraid she’ll die by the time those chicks hatch. Is this cause for concern?

Attachments

• 5BC393E4-AE5F-4E35-82C5-F24A33A7FD8A.jpeg
    5BC393E4-AE5F-4E35-82C5-F24A33A7FD8A.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 1
She's likely getting off when you're gone. My hens that act like you're describing do so because they wait for privacy and then speedy Gonzales around to eat, drink and poop. The ones that don't have a much bigger appetite when offered mash or soup

She's likely getting off when you're gone. My hens that act like you're describing do so because they wait for privacy and then speedy Gonzales around to eat, drink and poop. The ones that don't have a much bigger appetite when offered mash or soup
I certainly hope so. She’s all alone in her chicken tractor and I can’t find any broody poops for three days. I pick them up every day. Her wet mash which I give her is all dried out and untouched. But she’s a good broody mama so I try not to bother her too much.

Back
Top Bottom