Broody...now what?

The fan is a way of cooling her down to stop the broodyness. An old pan, or towel can put under the cage.

Not quite sure what else could be done in your situation.

The last option would be to just let her snap out of it by herself. I myself don't have a broody jail, so I just let them snap out of it.
Normally I"d put her in jail in the run, up on bricks, or stick frozen waterbottles under her, but I don't want soggy nests in the middle of a storm, and she can't be in the run with the storm. I might just leave her, but I worry that it's not good for her.

Normally I"d put her in jail in the run, up on bricks, or stick frozen waterbottles under her, but I don't want soggy nests in the middle of a storm, and she can't be in the run with the storm. I might just leave her, but I worry that it's not good for her.
As long as she has access to food, & water, she'll be fine.

Maybe try this: put her a bath of cold water, and have her swim for a few minutes. She can't keep eggs warm if she's wet and cold. ;)

My suggestion would be if she does not break before the storm, just let her be until after the storm has passed. At least she will be warm and dry in the coop sitting on nothing, assuming you can collect the other hen's eggs. When the storm is passed, then you can use your usual broody breaking system.
x2. Prioritize the storm first since it sounds like you're concerned this will be a safety issue. Once that's no longer an issue, then put her in the broody breaker.

My suggestion would be if she does not break before the storm, just let her be until after the storm has passed. At least she will be warm and dry in the coop sitting on nothing, assuming you can collect the other hen's eggs. When the storm is passed, then you can use your usual broody breaking system.
X3.
Just keep tossing her out of the nest as often as you can.
Block nests once all the other birds have laid for the day.

73FC93B9-B39C-4FC0-876F-A6D235EA4280.jpeg

someone isn’t happy I took her off her nest

With my broody she's very sweet. I open the nesting box, she stands up, I take the eggs if any and she walks into the run with the others I do this many times a day.

With my broody she's very sweet. I open the nesting box, she stands up, I take the eggs if any and she walks into the run with the others I do this many times a day.
Mine screams at me when I open the box and tries to peck me when I steal her eggs
when I closed her out of the coop earlier for cleaning she was running around all puffed up and yelling at the other chickens

Back
Top Bottom