Broody Olivia, Day 19 *UPDATE-HATCH! a Dilemma, sort of..

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
If you recall, my little Olivia is sitting on the last BR egg fertile by Hawkeye with Lexie, Day 19, due Saturday. The other two she started with from Amanda and Ivy quit early on. On the 8th of May, when I removed the last egg, I was going to put a plastic egg under her to take the place of the duds, but DH said, no, let's put a real one under her. Using "Cyn" logic, I think I'll take one of Charlotte's, my only blue egg layer currently, so I'll know at a glance which is which. The only one I had available was already in the fridge from the day before and I thought no way it would still be fertile, by either Hawkeye or Zane, who was hurt right after his father's death on April 15. We warm it up and in awhile, take out the dud egg and replace it with Charlotte's blue egg.
Today, I decide to candle when Livvie is off the nest eating, just in case the peep has expired since I candled way back when. I can see nothing in that egg-it's full of baby chick, so I think it must be okay. Yippee!
Just for the heck of it, I candled Charlotte's egg. Do you see where this is going? There are veins. Lots of veins. It's about Day 8 on this egg. Guess who the father is? ZANE. Has to be Zane. My Zane.
What do I do? Do I take it and continue incubating this egg? This lone egg from my Zane may be the only baby he ever produces.

(BTW, I picked up two cute little GLW babies from the feedstore today to put under Livvie so she'll have more than one baby to raise.)

Last edited:
You know what you're going to do already. You're going to try and keep that egg going. It's not really like you have a choice, right? It's already special...

Isn't it amazing how life goes on and always finds a way?

That's exciting news but I have no answer as to whether or not to let the hen sit the egg or to put it in bator. You know your girls the best. If they are good broodies I think I would let nature continue to take it's course.

I don't have a current broody except Olivia and after her one egg hatches and I give her the two little GLWs, she wont sit on that egg 2 more weeks. Tux isn't completely broody yet and she may or may not go over the edge, either. So, I'll have to incubate or let it go. I think I'll try to keep it going. It may not make it, but I cant just kill it! It's my Zane's baby. I cannot believe that egg is fertile! I did not expect to see veins in that egg, I really didn't.

What is up with you and staggered hatches? lol.

i guess just leave them alone until there is a live fully hatched chick. you know what they say about counting eggs before they hatch. then swap the little zanemeister egg for the live chicks. and then put the zaneski in the bator.

well i personally hope it rains a few inches today. you can put Zane inside and let him watch Chick Flicks all day and maybe that will get his libido back up and take his mind off his handicap. we need rain, bad!

*ahem* i intended this for the Zane thread but moronically i posted it here by mistake.

Last edited:
Well,Cyn you know what you have to do. Too bad you are not closer to me. I have a broody hen on day 10 with her eggs. I'd slip it under her for you. You know, years ago,when I lost my flock to my neighbor's dog,all I had left were 2 doz eggs. I put them in my dad's incubater and 17 little cuties hatched. My Papa was one of them. It brought me so much comfort to have "recycled chicks" instead of replacement chicks. Good luck with your "recycled chicks".

Back
Top Bottom