Broody only hatched one chick

ButtonHoarder

Ich bin der knopfe
Premium Feather Member
Sep 11, 2020
Neptune
My broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs but 3 are dead and I don't think the other 2 are going to hatch, so now I have a single chick. There are some day old chicks near me that I could buy, but I'm scared because of the avian flu. Should I just let the mom raise the chick by itself, or try to get a couple more?

My broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs but 3 are dead and I don't think the other 2 are going to hatch, so now I have a single chick. There are some day old chicks near me that I could buy, but I'm scared because of the avian flu. Should I just let the mom raise the chick by itself, or try to get a couple more?
That is an interesting question. I don't have a good answer. I would probably try ti introduce a couple more.

Only buy the other chicks if you are fully prepared to raise them yourself in a brooder. It's not likely that the hen will accept them. Might, but...
How long ago did the one hatch? Have the other two pipped yet? Is she still sitting them?
The chick hatched 2 days ago. I candled the others and they don't look alive, but I'll leave them a bit longer. And yes she is still sitting on them.

I've seen videos on how to water-candle an egg. Don't know how accurate it is, but you might try it before giving up. Basically, you first check the egg carefully for ANY external pips or cracks - if there are, then DO NOT proceed. If the egg is still fully intact, you can place it in a cup of warm water. It will float. Then watch the surface of the water. If the chick is alive, the water jiggles or wiggles a bit. If it stays perfectly smooth, dead chick.
(Do NOT attempt to help the hatch if the chick hasn't pipped externally. Trust me. It does not work out well at all. Imagine a time bomb filled with rotten egg.....)

OTOH, hens are very good at detecting a bad egg, and will reject it. If she's still sitting, it's a good sign.

So, another question. If I buy week old chicks and she doesn't accept them, can I keep them in the same pen but with a heat lamp?

Back
Top Bottom