1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody or egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkissler, Sep 21, 2014.

1. dkissler

dkissler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    I have a year and a half barred rock who within the last day or so has refused to leave her nest. She will only drink water if I bring it to her in the nest. I can pat and hold this chicken which is very unusual for her. She is usually my most skiddish chicken. Whenever I take her out of the nest, she just runs back to the nest. When I pate her in the nest she makes a "purring" sound. She does not squawk at me

[​IMG]

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I would bet she is broody. If she were egg bound she would act lethargic and weak. Has she plucked feathers from her breast?

3. dkissler

dkissler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Her breast has been bare of feathers but that is not a new development. She has been chested for about two months. She was also in her nest and I went to pat her and it sounded like she was purring like a cat. Not sure what this sound means.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    The purring is another sound of broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by