1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody or just cold??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myfivehens, Nov 5, 2013.

1. myfivehens

myfivehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    I have a bantam frizzle hen who I think is about 36 weeks old (9months) and she's been staying in the nesting box a lot! Yesterday I didn't see her come out once so I today I made her :p I was afraid she wasn't eating or drinking. I'm not sure if she's broody or if she's just cold. We're in GA and it's about 45 degrees right now, it typically doesn't get below 20 at night during the winter. I don't have a heat lamp in there but I do have a regular light that comes on early in the morning to help with laying. Any ideas, broody or just plain cold??

2. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    i think broody. i think those breeds tend to go broody alot too. did she make a noise when u took her out? did her feathers fluff up?

3. myfivehens

Mar 7, 2013
    She made a little noise (maybe like a purring noise but not real loud) but I couldn't tell if she fluffed up, she's a frizzle so she always looks fluffed up to me :p She's a pretty docile hen but doesn't really like to be held any time so it's hard to tell.

4. myfivehens

Mar 7, 2013
    Oh, I should probably add that she hasn't laid in a few days...would that also point towards broody? If she is broody do I just keep taking her out of the nest box until she gets the point?

5. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    all those signs show broodiness.especially the staying in the nest box and making that noise when u took her out. i would say just take her out until it gets warmer. if shes still broody in the spring dunk her in very cold water for a few seconds and that will take her out of that broody mode because it will cool her body temp.

6. myfivehens

Mar 7, 2013
    Ok, thanks for all your help!!

7. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    no problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by