Broody or just Moody?

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
One of my Copper Maran hens is acting funky. She attack my German shepherd puppy and one of my ducks. She won’t get off the nesting box and is sitting on six eggs. She has been doing this for 3 days. I thought(hoped) she is broody, so I wrote the date the eggs were payed on them so she doesn’t hoard too many and I don’t mix them up. She only gets off the eggs in the morning when I feed them and goes for a dust bath , water and eats. Other than that she won’t get up. Her belly and chest are also plucked bare, and if I try to grad her eggs, she hisses and pecks me. I think/hope she is brood but wanted a second opinion in case she isn’t so those eggs don’t rot out in this heat lol. So, broody or just moody?

So should I move her and the chicks when they hatch so the other animals don’t hurt them? The chickens are with goats , ducks, turkeys, guineas, and a puppy.

That's one broody girl for sure!
Mine just hatched her little clutch and I was greeted with 3 tiny little chicks Thursday morning! First time for me. You'll love it!

Yay! I’m so proud. I might be a grandma! Lol. How long after the hatch can they go back in the pasture?

She attacked me this morning because I got too close to the eggs while she was eating. Mother’s love I guess. When she hatches them will she be nice again? She is my sweetest hen

Yay! I’m so proud. I might be a grandma! Lol. How long after the hatch can they go back in the pasture?
Mine was ready to leave the nest the very next day.
Here she is outside with them today.
momma and babies first day out.jpg

And because it is just too cute a picture not to share, this is from Thursday morning.
momma and baby-2.jpg

She attacked me this morning because I got too close to the eggs while she was eating. Mother’s love I guess. When she hatches them will she be nice again? She is my sweetest hen
She'll be nice again after she weans them.
You can try hand feeding her treats daily to let her know you aren't going to take her eggs or threaten her unborn!
Mine was very sweet during the whole process. She only did a turkey impersonation and the ticking time bomb cluck, cluck, cluck. That's it.

Also, is this like a birth defect or something? I hatched this chick out and she has really fluffy cheeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom