Broody or not?

Ilovejesus

Chirping
Jul 3, 2017
NE Missouri
I have this specked Sussex, she has been laying eggs In Our barn for about a week with another hen. So far she has 17 eggs. Today is the first day she seemed broody. I would walk up to her and she got so mad puffed up and everything. She sat for about four hours then she got off and did the “laid an egg sound” if this just the beginning of her getting broody?

( I haven’t check if she went back)

well it's hard to tell if a hen is broody or not. you said she is being defensive around her eggs. this is a sign she may have babies. you won't really know till you check her eggs. all you have to do is have a bright torch in a dark place.

She may be pre broody, but also may just have been enjoying the moment. Two overnighters on the nest generally confirm broodiness to me. You do know that's too many eggs for her to brood successfully ?

Ok I hope she does get fully broody. Ya she could have been enjoying the moment lol. Yes I was only planning on taking some way when she is more broody. I was only going to leave 10 or 12. Should I just leave the 10 to 12 will she still get broody? Will she notice I took some away when she gone?

What I would do is take all the eggs and replace them with golf balls. Keep collecting, and when you are sure she's broody put the freshest eggs under her. You can write the date that you collected each egg right on the egg.

Back
Top Bottom