Broody or not??

micbro

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2022
G'day guys,
first time poster here,
I have this vorwerk chicken who i assume is broody, but upon searching whether they become broody, the answer is seldom no. She has been flying in through the louvres of the house... which i was unaware of and laying in the bloody house. I found here sitting on a clutch of eggs but when i went to see whether she was broody there was literally no response. I touched her and picked her up but no signs of her being broody... i.e. her neck feather stayed down and there was no growling and no noise.
She has plucked out a few of her feathers around her clutch of eggs which i associate with broodiness but her behaviour doesn't seem like any other broody hen i've ever had before
I have a barnevelder who has just had a few chicks and a bantam which will hatch a few soon as well
I know that broodiness can be contagious but just her behaviour is strange.. no typical signs of her being broody so not really sure

I also have this rhode island red who is exhibiting strange neurological symptoms... screaming at random, nervously and continuously clucking, but not really a cluck... kind of like a "took took took" constantly
stumbles a little bit, and just seems generally distressed
could this be parasites? a vitamin def. ?
they all free range on a lot of land and get a healthy dose of coarse layer mash as well
could these neurological symptoms from this disease have been passed to my vorwerk?
just looking for some wisdom from you guys!

Last edited:
this is the weird noise she makes, but not the random shrieks every now and then, she doesn't want to go undercover even though it's raining as well, and also has lost a bit of weight it seems

yeah she is certainly an oddball, a real hypochondriac about everything, especially interactions with me. But I've had her for two years and i haven't witnessed this behaviour before. Seems to want to be alone away from the flock, seems to have lost a decent amount of weight and muscle mass, and sometimes has a weird gait, stumbles around a little. She's been like this for like 2 weeks. At first i thought she was just getting a bit broody cause i'd find her on her clutch of eggs throughout the day, but returns to the roost at night, and seems to be more skittish and stressed than usual. Just not really sure what to do about her, but havent witnessed any of these same symptoms within the rest of the flock soooooo yeah not really sure, also sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night to let out an almighty shriek so i was think maybe mites or parasites, because chickens of mine in the past have had disrupted sleeping patterns because of mites, but haven't seen any mites on her

Sitting on eggs and being away from the flock and a repetitive ticking sound would lead me to think broody, but she might just be really indecisive and isn't setting properly.

If you get a video of any other odd behavior, maybe try the emergency forum to see if you can get a better diagnosis.

Alrighty, that's a good start! Thank you so much for your responses! I'll follow her around with my camera tomorrow to see if i can capture anything on film!

Back
Top Bottom