Broody or sick?? Please tell me I’m doing the right thing here!!!

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay so about a month and a half ago I had a cockerel come down Mareks and had to put him down. Now I have a pullet showing the same symptoms and seems to be progressing much faster (she only started showing signs the other day) and I want to put her down but am now second guessing myself.

I went to do it this morning but when I held her upside down to calm her before doing it, she wouldn’t go upside down!!! Instead she started flapping her wings like crazy and righted herself!!!

So of course I felt awful because clearly she still has a lot of fight left!!! And her wings clearly aren’t paralyzed. But she can’t walk either. And she’s holding her wings out and panting.

But then she also let out a huge smelly poop like a broody and has been on the nest boxes all day. And like I said clearly has a lot of fight. She tries to get away from me still when I go to pick her up too.

So of course now I keep second guessing myself like “what if I put her down for no reason and she was actually just broody” etc. And then I’ll feel awful even though I know she’s probably definitely sick cause she doesn’t seem to be able to walk and keeps panting. I just wish I could know for sure.

Sooo....

I know it’s hard to tell on the Internet and I’m the only one who can truly know, etc. but can someone please tell me I’m doing the right thing here!?

She’s definitely not broody, right!?

Especially if he had Mareks and she’s not vaccinated? And is a breed more susceptible to it (Welsummer as was he).

I know in my heart what’s right I think but I just want to be absolutely sure before I do it. I think it’s because she’s so pretty and sweet and I’m more attached to her than I was to Red. She’s such a good girl. 😭😭😭

Here are some pictures of her. The first four are from yesterday and the last 3 are from today when I tried to put her down and wimped out.

46547368-52DD-4D1C-B5D9-655F1786AA3C.jpeg 592EDD0C-B86E-4683-A633-111B55218C7F.jpeg 55F5C47E-1680-41E8-B726-B3AB3D575786.jpeg 9B5A17B2-0CF6-4B48-8A76-D8C60CF76470.jpeg DB0E98CC-A398-405F-A146-7B486E32BA52.jpeg 0DB0F2D4-30E3-4F08-AFA3-DD51C8B9CAEE.jpeg F9F5DC9E-B3B3-44D7-9AE0-F3EA0C1D9DE8.jpeg

Hi, @KDOGG331 . Does she hold her wings like that all the time? I have no experience w Marek's, but none of my broody hens have ever done that with their wings. Do you see any paralysis in her legs? I think @Eggcessive and @aart are knowledgeable about Marek's. What else is she doing that makes you think she is broody?

Hi, @KDOGG331 . Does she hold her wings like that all the time? I have no experience w Marek's, but none of my broody hens have ever done that with their wings. Do you see any paralysis in her legs? I think @Eggcessive and @aart are knowledgeable about Marek's. What else is she doing that makes you think she is broody?
Thank you. :hugs

I actually just put her down today (yesterday now I guess???) :(

I should have done it the other day but she didn’t seem too bad. Though I think maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Her wings didn’t seem totally paralyzed cause she could use them still but she did hold them like that most of the time. And the legs definitely were. :( but I guess I was hoping she was just choosing not to get up rather than paralyzed.

She was in the nest boxes a lot and had a big broody poo, and seemed to pancake/make weird noises a bit so I was reaching I guess even though I knew I think.

I had a cockerel about a month and a half ago with the same symptoms and also put him down but I didn’t want to believe it with her I guess. She was so sweet. 😭😭

I am sure my favorite cockerel will get it too.

Thank you. :hugs

I actually just put her down today (yesterday now I guess???) :(

I should have done it the other day but she didn’t seem too bad. Though I think maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Her wings didn’t seem totally paralyzed cause she could use them still but she did hold them like that most of the time. And the legs definitely were. :( but I guess I was hoping she was just choosing not to get up rather than paralyzed.

She was in the nest boxes a lot and had a big broody poo, and seemed to pancake/make weird noises a bit so I was reaching I guess even though I knew I think.

I had a cockerel about a month and a half ago with the same symptoms and also put him down but I didn’t want to believe it with her I guess. She was so sweet. 😭😭

I am sure my favorite cockerel will get it too.
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Very sorry for your loss. Did you get a necropsy (from the state vet) on the first one who died, to be sure that it was Mareks? Holding the wingsout from the body and panting can be a sign of overheating. Hers looked to be more down though, and that can be a a sign of dehydration. It is always hard to decide when the time is right to put them down, but we really need to prevent them from suffering. If they still eat and drink, and seem to enjoy the company of the other chickens, I will wait. But if others are pecking at them, and they will no longer eat, I go ahead. I have not dealt with Mareks, but it is an awful disease. I would get a necropsy if you lose another. The body must be kept coldon ice packs, but not frozen, and sent to your state lab on M-F for a necropsy.

Very sorry for your loss. Did you get a necropsy (from the state vet) on the first one who died, to be sure that it was Mareks? Holding the wingsout from the body and panting can be a sign of overheating. Hers looked to be more down though, and that can be a a sign of dehydration. It is always hard to decide when the time is right to put them down, but we really need to prevent them from suffering. If they still eat and drink, and seem to enjoy the company of the other chickens, I will wait. But if others are pecking at them, and they will no longer eat, I go ahead. I have not dealt with Mareks, but it is an awful disease. I would get a necropsy if you lose another. The body must be kept coldon ice packs, but not frozen, and sent to your state lab on M-F for a necropsy.
Thank you!!! I never thought it could be a sign of those other things and now I feel awful because I’m pretty sure the other birds did keep her inside away from the water a lot. :( I should have had another bowl inside. :( but then again I think something was definitely wrong given her legs but yeah. She was still eating and drinking but couldn’t really get to the water anymore and the other girls were being relentlessly mean and vicious to her. :( I’m pretty sure it was because it was the same exact symptoms as the other bird who died and neither of them are vaccinated. :( I can’t send her in though because I forgot to put her in a cooler or something and it’s been so hot. :(

Hopefully no other birds will get sick but I’m pretty sure Jack will because he’s the last unvaccinated one left. :(

Back
Top Bottom