broody or sick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennyjenn, Mar 16, 2012.

1. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    I just went out to collect eggs and found a hen in one of the favourite laying nests. She was very still and very flat on two eggs. While I contemplated her behaviour, another hen hopped up and started pecking her on the head. I shooed the offender away and then removed the first hen. Once I placed her outside, she began scratching around and acting fine. Might she be broody? The reason I'm dubious is that she is an Ancona. Thoughts?

Also, I've noticed there has been a lot of "bullying" and possibly mixing up of the pecking order lately. One of our leghorns is not allowed on the roost at night and has had a bloodied comb. Maybe this is in some way related?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if she is becoming broody, or you just might have caught her shortly after laying an egg.

3. MarissaC

MarissaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Near Waco, TX
    I agree with sourland...sounds broody to me.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I have 2 chickens thT lay n the eggs and will lay until I take them lol, there both good at watching over the eggs but not broody. When there broody they will lay flat on the ground and not move when I take them off the nests . Then they walk around, lay a giant poop and hit back onto the nest box. Sounds like yours just laid or is contemplating broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by