Broody Orpington

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hi there,
I have some Orpington hens that should start laying any day now. I was hoping that I will have a broody hen so as to raise more chicks later on. I know that Orpingtons are kind of know for this, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to encourage this, or is it just luck. Also, I was reading somewhere that if you get them from the hatchery they will not go broody. Is this true? I got my chickens form Murry McMurry Hatchery. Thanks!

It doesn’t matter where they were born, they can still go broody. After they start laying it can be a few months until they go broody. Spring is the most common time for them to get broody. You can’t do very much to encourage them to go broody, they go broody when they feel it’s right. Depends on the hen to how often they go broody, or if they go broody. Every hen has different hormone levels. Hens with a higher hormone level are more likely to go broody whilst’s hens with a low hormone level tend to be a lot less broody.

3 of my 6 hatchery girls are super broody, 3 have no interest😊 I don't know if there is a way to encourage... You could try some of those fake ceramic eggs, like a few of them in a nest box, and just see if anybody decides to sit (when you are ready for hatching). I've heard many people say they've had a girl go broody when they weren't able to collect eggs for a few days and they pile up a bit. I don't think it's a sure fire way, but worth a try. Spring is definitely more likely

I have an Orpington that goes broody twice a year. She’s the only original hen from my first ever flock. I didn’t want chicks in the first 2 years. This past year I decide to let her hatch. But… she didn’t go broody. One of my Marans went broody. I let her hatch. June 7th they hatched. In July my Orpington decided to be broody! I had to say no again as I had too many now! AND. I had to say no again In August! This coming spring season I hope she goes broody early! So just be patient. Orpingtons go broody! But you can’t really encourage it.

Back
Top Bottom