Broody Pekin Hen - trade out eggs for ducklings?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I have a broody pekin hen sitting on eggs. Do you think I could trade out the eggs for ducklings and have her raise ducklings? I'd put the eggs in my incubator. I'm not sure if she's going to sit for the full 28 days on the eggs so wondering if it would just make more sense to let her raise ducklings soon?

(My mallards were broody and did a great job, but haven't had a broody pekin before so not sure how well she'll do?)

Most hens will sit longer then the 21 days. Pekins in particular are excellent broodies and I'd think she'd take ducklings just fine. Because she is a bantam, only give her a few eggs. Maybe 2-4 so it isn't crowded underneath her.

Most hens will sit longer then the 21 days. Pekins in particular are excellent broodies and I'd think she'd take ducklings just fine. Because she is a bantam, only give her a few eggs. Maybe 2-4 so it isn't crowded underneath her.
She's not a bantam. She's huge, a pekin duck.

Ohhhh, I thought you were asking if a chicken will take ducklings. She should take them anyhow.
Nope, just asking if I can switch out eggs while she's off the nest on her break, with brand new ducklings and hope she'll assume they are hers.

Back
Top Bottom