Broody Pekin Hen - trade out eggs for ducklings?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I have a broody pekin hen sitting on eggs. Do you think I could trade out the eggs for ducklings and have her raise ducklings? I'd put the eggs in my incubator. I'm not sure if she's going to sit for the full 28 days on the eggs so wondering if it would just make more sense to let her raise ducklings soon?

(My mallards were broody and did a great job, but haven't had a broody pekin before so not sure how well she'll do?)

Well so far she’s willing to adopt them but they are more intent on going for crazy adventures instead of staying safe and snuggling with her. 😂🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 5DDF30A5-7838-4C4E-8491-B15AF18B9D80.jpeg
    5DDF30A5-7838-4C4E-8491-B15AF18B9D80.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 4
  • D7D817CC-4AC7-4B2E-8EFA-34A57098B245.jpeg
    D7D817CC-4AC7-4B2E-8EFA-34A57098B245.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 4
Bahahaha I’m sure they’ll eventually calm down and wanna snuggle momma! That’s awesome she’s into it!
I was a little worried but while she was out taking a break I took all the eggs away and replaced them with these little hooligans. She was like, WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED AND WHY ARE THESE GUYS SO NUTS? Then sort of like, "well... I guess that's what happens so I may as well just raise them". It was pretty funny and she seems to be okay with them so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way lol.

Oh my gosh how cute !!
My Pekin sat her whole time. She was very dedicated to her nest
But unfortunately out of 8 eggs only 3 made it to hatch and 2 internal pips but never external pips and died :( and baby 3 was wrong end with just bruising. I switched out the dead ones and took hope to assist gave mom chicken eggs and hatched hope 51 hours later. Tried to switch her out for the eggs and my Pekin tried to attack her. Freaked out to see the eggs gone and the hatched egg instead
Didn’t go well for me at all
They are together now and have been a few months.
I incubated her eggs weeks before she went broody and they were on the small end. Mine all had trouble getting out as well. I have learned wait till the eggs are a bigger size
Maybe next year I’ll let her try again when she is older and wiser and now lays much bigger eggs that they don’t need assistance to get out

Back
Top Bottom