Broody Pullet? what should I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoffeeCow, Dec 2, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    My pullets have only recently started laying, Got the 1st egg on October 30.
    Yesterday, My Buff Orpington (Bugsy) wouldn't get out of her favorite nesting box, she even slept there last night.
    All day today, she remained in there, kinda like staring off into nothing... I have heard that broody hens (pullet
    in this case) can get a bit aggressive, so I slowly tried to check and see if she was okay.... she made a noise that I
    can only compare to the velocaraptor sounds from Jurassic Park, and dared me to touch her... She is normally a
    very polite girl. I assume that she has gone broody? She is sleeping in the nest box again tonight.

Questions I have are....

1) Its cold outside, just below freezing here now, and will get colder not much mind you, We are on the coast in NC,
    but temps in the teens are common in the coldest winter months. If she has an egg or 2 under her, and they hatch
    out, should I leave them to her? or snatch them away and raise them myself?

2) Seeing as how they have only been laying for a month, are the eggs even ready to be incubated?

3) should I try to break her from being broody? and how? I don't mind her hatching out a chick or 3, but I am just
    scared it will be too cold for them..

help?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

That big figured girl will keep them warm & raise them just fine. She can handle about a dozen eggs under her, so, fill 'er up!

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Load her up

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I hate to ask a silly question, but, you do have a rooster, right? [​IMG]

5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Quote:LOL
    yes, yes I do have a roo.... well, cockerel... [​IMG]

okay, on to yet another question [​IMG]

I have 8 pullets, been getting 5-8 eggs a day... If I load her up, will it matter if i put them under her in installments?
    or should I wait till i have 10-12 eggs and do it all at once?

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Do it all at once. The eggs will keep fine for a week or so, but if you do it in installments the hatch will be staggerd and she'll abandon the eggs that are a few days behind in favor of taking care of the hatched out chicks. I'd only give her 6-8 myself due to her being a first timer and the colder temps. She can easily cover a dozen or more, but she'll have an easier time keeping track of fewer chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by