Broody pullet

I've not had trouble with her wiggling much, she's stubbornly sitting on that clutch of eggs :) Fed her scrambled eggs today, and in the beginning she wouldn't swallow! Fine... a good old fashioned tail scratching... after each bite did the trick! They really like it when I massage their tail at the base of their back. I cooked six quail eggs for her, pulverized shell and all, I believe she ate one of them, so that's about 13 grams of protein. The leftovers were fed to my other chickens. Nutmeg's been getting a drop of chick booster daily for vitamins. It contains Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, B12, B15, BH (as Inositol), D3, E, K3, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, L-Threonine, L-Tryptophan, L-Histidine, L-Arginine, L- aspartic acid, L-Serine, Glutamic acid, L-Proline, Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Cysteine, L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, Nucleotides, Essential fatty acids, Sodium Selenite, Potassium iodine, Cobalt, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Iron, and Sodium chloride; Good stuff. I massaged her crop today sometime after she had breakfast and a visit with our rooster, it was about half-full of food that felt normal; not spongy, not a hard mass.

Update: Nutmeg has successfully hatched all seven of the fertile eggs that Salt was brooding, that I gave to Nutmeg after Salt's untimely demise. Her demeanor has changed a little towards me. Before brooding, she'd have walked a country mile to avoid being touched by me, not even accepting treats by hand. She never pecks at me but she does fluff up and give warning chirps. Despite the posturing, she seems quite content to allow me to remove her from the nest for a minute or two at a time to do the housekeeping (remove egg shells) and do a head count :) She also accepted hard boiled quail egg by hand today. As a side note, the one and only egg that Nutmeg has ever laid is in the incubator as it has at least another week to go before it hatches.

Nutmeg has her chicks incorporated into the flock already (day 3). She's doing the scratch scratch, come get this goodie, scratch with them and getting help from papa Pepper and auntie Canela. I so love watching a hen teach her young; I could sit and watch it all day long!

Back
Top Bottom