Broody quail and community nests

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
I have 16 nesting spots between about 25 hens and for some reason many seem to favor the nests of my two broody hens. I don't like having to constantly pull out new eggs from the marked ones and I can't section off the broody nests. Does anyone have some tips for making the 14 other nesting spots look more appealing to the non-broody hens? All nests are furnished with orchard grass bedding but some are larger than others.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    894.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 12
Mine have exhibited the same behavior for the last three years—three main nest sites between roughly 16 hens with a few outliers now and than, almost always under a broody hen. A think the broody being there is the highest attraction. I've also seen hens roll eggs from smaller, cold nest sites into their active nest.

I don't have any males, so have no experience selectively "curating" a clutch. Marking developing eggs and removing the new ones seems to be the best course of action, as long as it isn't discouraging your broody girls. Wishing you patience and luck!

"Mine have exhibited the same behavior for the last three years—three main nest sites between roughly 16 hens with a few outliers now and than, almost always under a broody hen." - I have noticed the same thing. Out of all the nesting spots, exactly three are the most used. How many nesting spots do you provide for your hens?

"A think the broody being there is the highest attraction." - I think I agree, it almost seems like the broody hens are encouraging others to sit or come lay in the nests. I sometimes see another hen sitting with the broody on the nest (as you can see in both pictures, actually).

"Mine have exhibited the same behavior for the last three years—three main nest sites between roughly 16 hens with a few outliers now and than, almost always under a broody hen." - I have noticed the same thing. Out of all the nesting spots, exactly three are the most used. How many nesting spots do you provide for your hens?

"A think the broody being there is the highest attraction." - I think I agree, it almost seems like the broody hens are encouraging others to sit or come lay in the nests. I sometimes see another hen sitting with the broody on the nest (as you can see in both pictures, actually).

Counting grasses and cover objects as a single site each, they've 10 or so spots suitable for laying (though some see little use, and one gets consistent use by a single, determined hen). I've noticed they won't lay in big sheltered areas like the shell of a dog house or under a large leaf of bark, but prefer tight spots with a single entrance. The aviary is about 100 square feet but maybe 2 square ever get used for laying.

Sharing a nest seems common. Most hens I've ever seen on one nest was three, packed wing-to-wing in a wicker hut. Only one was truly broody, and those two others were the only birds she would tolerate.

"Counting grasses and cover objects as a single site each, they've 10 or so spots suitable for laying (though some see little use, and one gets consistent use by a single, determined hen). I've noticed they won't lay in big sheltered areas like the shell of a dog house or under a large leaf of bark, but prefer tight spots with a single entrance. The aviary is about 100 square feet but maybe 2 square ever get used for laying."

So that's why they like the hen caves so much.

"Sharing a nest seems common. Most hens I've ever seen on one nest was three, packed wing-to-wing in a wicker hut. Only one was truly broody, and those two others were the only birds she would tolerate."

It seems like a broody bird is either shy or angry with no in-between. They seem to especially not like the males. Have you ever had one broody quail hand off the nest to another? The red range hen just completely took over from the Italian. I had that happen a lot last year too.

Last edited:
"Counting grasses and cover objects as a single site each, they've 10 or so spots suitable for laying (though some see little use, and one gets consistent use by a single, determined hen). I've noticed they won't lay in big sheltered areas like the shell of a dog house or under a large leaf of bark, but prefer tight spots with a single entrance. The aviary is about 100 square feet but maybe 2 square ever get used for laying."

"Sharing a nest seems common. Most hens I've ever seen on one nest was three, packed wing-to-wing in a wicker hut. Only one was truly broody, and those two others were the only birds she would tolerate."

It seems like a broody bird is either shy or angry with no in-between. They seem to especially not like the males. Have you ever had one broody quail hand off the nest to another? The red range hen just completely took over from the Italian. I had that happen a lot last year too.
I have several females that share nests, and my male Tiger Millionaire often sits on them too, and is sometimes still trying after the hens stop or move on to a new egg they found somewhere else. I have another male who stands in the area right next to the broodies and keeps watch.

I lost a 3-year-old golden hen recently who had been diligently sitting each day's new clutch for almost two weeks (not that it would have led to anything 😭). Now the favorite nest site is shared between another golden and a tiny red range. They almost seem to be taking shifts.

Almost daily, I see hens who aren't sitting eggs stare at an unattended clutch like they're trying to figure out if they should hop on.

Here are pictures of the chicks that hatched from one nest. The second nest was abandoned after I put a barrier up to create a safe hatching environment. The abandoned eggs joined my current hatch in the incubator.
View attachment 2719854View attachment 2719855View attachment 2719856View attachment 2719857
So sweet! That’s 3 successful broodies I’ve seen on the site recently! Maybe we can get Coturnix less domesticated lol. How many chicks did you get?

Back
Top Bottom