Broody Quail Hen!

atinybrit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Hampshire, England
Hi guys!
So I've had quails going on six months, which live outside. On Saturday (five days ago) I bought some new guys that live indoors, living in a huge rabbit hutch in my room. I have four females, three males and one not-so-sure. Anyway, the lady bought them off of said one of the females sits her own eggs and had a few successful hatched.
Lo and behold, when I couldn't find the eggs it turns out she's pulled them into the corner and made a nest!

Now I'm not worried about her laying or sitting apparently she's a brilliant mum. But the quails are not a fan of me catching them. Will she be able to sit with the others in there? Or shall I move them out? Shall I leave a male on there?
Thanks guys!

Hi guys!
So I've had quails going on six months, which live outside. On Saturday (five days ago) I bought some new guys that live indoors, living in a huge rabbit hutch in my room. I have four females, three males and one not-so-sure. Anyway, the lady bought them off of said one of the females sits her own eggs and had a few successful hatched.
Lo and behold, when I couldn't find the eggs it turns out she's pulled them into the corner and made a nest!

Now I'm not worried about her laying or sitting apparently she's a brilliant mum. But the quails are not a fan of me catching them. Will she be able to sit with the others in there? Or shall I move them out? Shall I leave a male on there?
Thanks guys!
Any other bird in the space when she hatches chicks could potentially cannibalize the chicks. Gamebirds will kill anything they perceive to be a threat to their society, like chicks who might eat up all their food or sick or injured birds (they don't know you have a huge bag of food, they think each bowl is the last)

Any other bird in the space when she hatches chicks could potentially cannibalize the chicks. Gamebirds will kill anything they perceive to be a threat to their society, like chicks who might eat up all their food or sick or injured birds (they don't know you have a huge bag of food, they think each bowl is the last)

That's not good! I'll move then over ASAP, thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom