Broody Question

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
I have a bantam cochin hen that is very broody. I'll just keep taking eggs from her and she stops, but then she starts up again a week later.
I'm thinking I'll move her tonight while she's sleeping and give her a couple Buttercup eggs.
Now, this is my question... Mom and chicks obviously have different feed needs. How do you take care of that? Do you offer both layer feed and chick starter? What if the chicks try to eat the layer feed? Do you keep mom on layer feed while she's sitting?
barnie.gif

I solved the issue of layer feed by having flock raiser and offering calcium free choice to my girls in seperated feeders. It was the only way I could be certain the roos weren't also eating the layer and causing them physical problems.

My chicks eat both their feed and the flock raiser without incident, same goes for the hens. They eat some of the chick feed without any problem.

When my hens are sitting they eat regular layer feed but I change their feed when the chicks hatch. I feed them game bird starter. It has a bit more protein than chick starter but its unmedicated so it won't hurt the hen. The hen doesn't need the layer feed when she is with her chicks because she won't be laying eggs untill her brood is ready to leave. I have found game bird starter is the best option. Layer feed can lead to kidney failer in chicks and medicated chick feed scares me a bit since the hen will eat a lot of it. Although it is likely no problems will come of it - I still stay away from it in fear of an overdose.

Back
Top Bottom