Broody question

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
Long story short I have a broody sitting on a nest in a cage in my basement. It was a rescued nest from another hen who was killing the chicks as fast as they hatched. My question is when we put her on them yesterday afternoon there was a chick pipping and cheeping. I heard cheeping under her this morning, but since then nothing. No dead bodies thrown out, but she's clamped down tight.

How long do I leave her sit before I dare lift her up to see what's under there?

I haven't seen a broody poop so I don't know if she's gotten up. I head her some mashed up hard boiled egg this morning and she ate about a tablespoon full. She's a tiny Japanese hen.

You can pick her up any time. Just be careful not to lift her too high or too quickly. The little peeps get up under their wings so you don't want one falling too far. I found my broody hens preferred to poop in the nest rather than leave the clutch of eggs when they were close to hatching.

Leave her alone, sit on your hands, don't interfere just to satisfy your curiosity. This new hen needs time to adjust to her new situation, and these chicks need someone to keep them warm & safe as they hatch. The hen should be ready to take everyone for their first outing sometime tomorrow. She shouldn't need to be fed or offered water until then.

Back
Top Bottom