Broody Question

eggscetera

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 12, 2011
Palmer, Alaska
How soon after laying their first eggs will hens go broody? I have a hen that's only been laying a month or so. She disappeared a couple weeks ago- at first we thought a predator got her but she reappeared when I was tossing cracked corn to the flock a week ago. Disappeared again and came back this morning to feed. I've looked all over for a hidden nest but we have forest all around us. I don't know where she hides out or where she roosts at night. My husband thinks she's sitting on eggs out in the woods but isn't it too early in her egg laying career for her to be going broody? Not to mention the fact that it's October and a bit late to be hatching out eggs...

It really depends on the individual hen some are perfectly happy to lay a dozen eggs then go broody. Some breeds are much more likely to go broody than others. She could just be hiding a nest and not be sitting on it yet and/or has just found some other place she is happy living at the moment since the winter weather has not really started.

I think you're right Happy Chooks. I got her as a chick from a neighbor so she is a different breed from mine- I have a mix of production reds/golden comets/ Ranger meat birds (none of whom seem to go broody). When I asked my neighbor yesterday what breed she is I was told mille fleur. Here is what wikipedia says: The breed is known for being very broody, and a typical hen can lay her eggs over a two-week period, though others have taken as long as three weeks (21 days). Wonder if I'll be seeing baby chicks right about the time the snow begins to fly...

Back
Top Bottom