Broody questions - 2 ducks on 1 nest, eggs will hatch on a few different days...

Oh boy I think we're actually going to wait on going outside - look at this lightening activity!

The duckling is out now but has a very swollen navel, and it's just laying there - resting, I hope.

The duckling is out now but has a very swollen navel, and it's just laying there - resting, I hope.
It probably came out too soon and didn't absorb all the yolk. This can lead to infection so if it's okay this morning you probably should take it and bring it inside so you can clean it up, bacteria in the nest can really be nasty, so use betadine or iodine to rinse off the sac. you want to keep it from dragging it or having another duckling or mamas grab it because that needs to be absorbed that is what they get their nutrients from for first few days of life so place the duckling inside a bowl lined with soft hand towel or wash cloth till it's sac has gone in. It won't need to eat for a couple days.

Maybe @RavynFallen has had more experience with this.

My sister lives in Colorado Springs and my folks live in Black Forrest. I did not know it was storming there.

Yeah we had a big lightening/thunderstorm! Neat that you have relatives here. We get firewood from families in black forest who are still clearing out trees from the big fire.

It probably came out too soon and didn't absorb all the yolk. This can lead to infection so if it's okay this morning you probably should take it and bring it inside so you can clean it up, bacteria in the nest can really be nasty, so use betadine or iodine to rinse off the sac. you want to keep it from dragging it or having another duckling or mamas grab it because that needs to be absorbed that is what they get their nutrients from for first few days of life so place the duckling inside a bowl lined with soft hand towel or wash cloth till it's sac has gone in. It won't need to eat for a couple days.

Maybe @RavynFallen
   has had more experience with this.

Last night before going to bed I put coconut oil (to fight bacteria) and arrowroot powder (to help keep dry) on the baby's navel. I went out this morning to check on it and maybe bring it inside like you suggested and he must be fine because there are SIX happy babies now and no signs of any issues with any of them!

And, a picture! This is Cocoa and a Lilly, mommy-ing their hatched and un-hatched babies. Good, good mommies. I went ahead and helped the babies find water nearby in case Cocoa and Lilly don't want to leave the nest with other babies hatching.

We actually have a drake that sits on a nest when the hen gets off to eat and drink. My husband has seen the drake on the nest quite a bit so it happe n s regularly.

@Homesteadin - My folks were on the news during the Black Forest fire because they were living in a camper in a Walmart parking lot during the mandatory evacuation. Fortunately their home was not burned. My sister was also part of a mandatory evacuation when the fire jumped over the hill just above her home in Colorado Springs the year before. They did not even have time to grab their pets because there was a knock on the door and they had to leave with the clothes on their back. Her home was also spared.

We actually have a drake that sits on a nest when the hen gets off to eat and drink. My husband has seen the drake on the nest quite a bit so it happe n s regularly.

@Homesteadin - My folks were on the news during the Black Forest fire because they were living in a camper in a Walmart parking lot during the mandatory evacuation. Fortunately their home was not burned. My sister was also part of a mandatory evacuation when the fire jumped over the hill just above her home in Colorado Springs the year before. They did not even have time to grab their pets because there was a knock on the door and they had to leave with the clothes on their back. Her home was also spared.

I love stories of roosters and drakes helping to take care of the babies! I think I am going to have to force Cocoa to take a break - pick her up and set her out for a few - she hasn't gotten off the nest to eat or anything in two days straight or more.

I remember the Black Forest fire so well. It was heartbreaking to, day after day, see smoke continually rising and know that peoples homes were being engulfed, so many beautiful trees burned, so many poor animals displaced. We live near that wal mart where people were camped out, we brought a few familys some food. So glad your sister and your parents' homes were spared! It is sad to drive through the burn zones and see where homes were taken down; nothing left but the brick fireplace chimneys standing up alone.

Back
Top Bottom