Broody Questions...

seespotbitejane

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
So I've got a broody hen sitting on a pile of eggs, and tomorrow is day 21. I really don't know how many of the eggs will hatch because I'm not sure how old they were when I gave them to her. She started sitting on some golf balls and then I found a large cache of eggs that weren't being laid in the nest box. We didn't have room for all of them in the fridge so I gave some to Captain Falcon instead of the golf balls.

I've raised baby chicks before, but these I've never let a hen raise them before. Our coop is a big shed. During the day we just open the door and let them have free run of the yard. In the evening they go back inside and we just close the door. I leave for work a lot earlier than I am comfortable letting the roosters outside to crow, so usually they have to wait until early afternoon when I get home to go outside. The yard is fenced and we have a lot of tree coverage so the only predators in the neighborhood are the cats which prowl around. So far the cats have mostly left the chickens alone, but I'm afraid baby chicks might be too much temptation for them. Darn cats.

So should I put Captain Falcon and the babies in a separate cage? Would they need a heat lamp? Would it be a bad idea to let them out with the other chickens at least if there was supervision? Are the roosters more likely to protect or attack the chicks? Is it just better to leave them be and let Captain Falcon mother them as she sees fit?

I have 8 cats. None of them will mess with a Mama hen with chicks. But, I feed them well. If you have stray or neglected cats around, I don't know. Is she a small or large hen and how aggressive is she? My Partridge Rock broody was very aggressive. She'd attack me if I got too close.
The hen will keep the chicks warm. No need for extra heat unless the temp drops really, really low.
I don't leave my broodies with the rest of the flock so I can't help you with the rest of your questions.
Good luck.
Dale-Ann

Last edited:
I would try and find a way to isolate her-being day 21 I wouldn't move her or the eggs at all until her hatch is over. The other chickens will try to eat the babies if you do not. They won't need a heat lamp, she'll be able to provide enough heat for them. Good luck!

Thanks, since I'm not sure if any of the eggs will actually hatch I figured I'd leave her alone until they did.

I don't think the cats are particularly neglected. There's a crazy cat lady on the corner and they all belong to her. They appear to be well fed, but they're just loose all over the neighborhood. Captain Falcon is a bantam EE. I wouldn't describe her as aggressive, but definitely assertive. I've got a cochin roo (also bantam) who is aggressive though. Not to me, but any men in the yard, or the dogs, he goes after. I haven't seen him actually going after the cats but they usually don't get that close and I'm sure he would go after them if they did.

I guess I'll see how many of them hatch. Trying not to count them, but I've got names picked out already! Then I'll set up the cage inside the shed so Captain Falcon will be as much a part of the action as she has been this whole month.

Back
Top Bottom