Broody ROOSTER?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeps, Jul 22, 2010.

1. cheeps

cheeps Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    So I have a standard cochin rooster, Harvey, who is about 16 months old. I love him dearly...he is like a cartoon: big, fluffy, clumsy and silly, and for the most part a really sweet bird.

I fell two weeks ago and broke my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff, so for the first time in my life I'm out of work. I've been enjoying spending time outside watching my critters. This morning I went out to check on everyone, and I saw Harvey's big fluffy butt sticking out of my azalea bush, making all sorts of weird noises. It is at the base of a large tree, and sometimes when I let the girls free-range they leave me eggs in a certain spot under the bush and down in between the roots of the tree. So I peek through the bush, and Harvey is sitting on the "nest" on two eggs with a crazed look in his eye! He was making noises just like a broody hen and even sort of lashed out at me when I tried to knock him off the eggs! Anyone ever heard of a broody ROOSTER? LOL.

[​IMG]
    Here's Harvey meeting my baby goats. Ain't he handsome!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I doubt he's broody, but roosters do make nests for the ladies and cluck to them to show them where to sit. They'll also make a purring sound to them sometimes while the hens are on the nest.

3. cheeps

cheeps Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Interesting, Kelly! I never knew that. Maybe he was just trying to show them where he thinks they should lay...even though he prevented someone from laying, there was an egg right outside of the bush! So funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: