Broody roosters in bachelor flock

Your boy is so beautiful.
I love my hens but the roosters have such personality. If I had to choose one chicken, it'd be my rooster, Doris.
I just wanted to share a pic of a rooster (Magpie) who was good with chicks. He didn't sit the eggs but he called and fed chicks from both his broodies (one of the girls hatched him too) from day one. He was rehomed about 18 mo ago with several of "his" babies. And per his new owner is still a really good boy.
IMG_20190630_142614_145.jpg

@centrarchid
We have a small bachelor flock (4 boys) and recently two of them have been acting broody. I've even caught the alpha guarding one of them while he nests and makes broody hen noises. There are a couple other threads on here discussing broody roosters, but I thought folks might enjoy the video. It's uncanny, really, he sounds just like a broody hen.

Broody Roo video
There are no females around?

Here's my 13 week old buff orpington cockerel trying to get the girls to like him. He is the only male in my flock of 20. I have 12 22 week old pullets that are laying or about to and 7 13 week old pullets that were brooder buddies with the cockerel. He is having problems balancing hormones and manners. I'm hoping we can get it worked out. While he hasn't hurt any of the girls, he's not waiting for them to submit. The bigger girls run him off when he gets too frisky. As long as no one is getting hurt and the bigger girls keep trying to teach him manners, I will let the flock sort him out.

We have a small bachelor flock (4 boys) and recently two of them have been acting broody. I've even caught the alpha guarding one of them while he nests and makes broody hen noises. There are a couple other threads on here discussing broody roosters, but I thought folks might enjoy the video. It's uncanny, really, he sounds just like a broody hen.

Broody Roo video
Not broody behavior. It is a component of courtship when rooster advertises a suitable nest site. Broody hen do not make the same sound.

Sure, depending on the individual rooster's drive they certainly can and do go into a state of broodiness.
Like the hens one with a strong drive will hatch himself or having chicks imprinted to him.
It is really something to see, a little bit of instict from before domestication had a hand.:)
What are you saying?

I had a male once that sat with a hen on a nest, but that was more because he decided she was his and not the top roosters hen anymore. He had to go though because he would try to breed with her on the nest.

These don't act like him though. They act like they're trying to lure females to their spots

Back
Top Bottom