Broody runner duck

thomassio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Hi all, I have a basic question!
One of my runners has gone broody. She is currently sitting on 13eggs. If she stops laying but my other 4 girls carry on, they will lay in her nest and I will have 17 eggs, followed by 21 the next day etc. how do I know which eggs are the ones being incubated and which are 'today' eggs? I really want to avoid disturbing her by candling every day and I am worried that moving her will put her off, plus she is currently in a perfect cozy little corner.:D

Thanks,

Thom.

I have basically the same question. I have 3 runner hens and 1 drake. Two of the hens are on the nest, but what about the other. They've always laid in the same place and I doubt that's going to change. Plus to make matters worse the nest is under a pile of old brush so I can't even get to the eggs. It was only a fluke I happened to find them and the eggs. The drake is always running over to check on them. I know there has to be someone here that can help.

Fortunately I can get to mine and so have marked the brooding eggs with a pencil and remove the new ones each day. Unfortunately a second has gone broody too and she is less dedicated. She will push her way in and makes a second mini nest but because of this I think gradually they will rotate the eggs between them until the new broody who doesn't spend enough time on the nest will end up causing the eggs to each go cold:rolleyes:

Fortunately I can get to mine and so have marked the brooding eggs with a pencil and remove the new ones each day. Unfortunately a second has gone broody too and she is less dedicated. She will push her way in and makes a second mini nest but because of this I think gradually they will rotate the eggs between them until the new broody who doesn't spend enough time on the nest will end up causing the eggs to each go cold:rolleyes:
thomassio tangential query but is the duck in your Avatar a drake? Our ducklings (runners, mallards/ roeun, and 1 each swede and Khaki campbell, are between 3 and 6 weeks old but one of the "mallard/ roeun " has that white collar shown in your pic.... does that mean its a drake (he is 4- 5 wks old)...

When the time comes I will do as I do with my chickens, mark them and remove the new ones as I can (seems like we always miss a few...)....

I would expect so, but I'm not sure it's a guarantee.
That's Stan in my avatar, he was indeed a drake but sadly he passed away shortly after we got him. He was very ill when we got him anyway.

I wonder if that's common with runners or ducks in particular that more then one goes broody at a time. I honestly never expected any of them to go broody. I've always heard that they don't.

Runners are said to be poor broodies and mothers too. Its generally accepted that it's been bred out of them to make them better egg producers. That said, heaps of people have their runners raise a brood so fingers crossed we are the exceptions to the rule!

That would be so great! Last year I had one of my cochins hatch out 3 ducklings and I dare say there is nothing cuter then ducklings.......don't tell the chicks that though;)

I would expect so, but I'm not sure it's a guarantee.
That's Stan in my avatar, he was indeed a drake but sadly he passed away shortly after we got him. He was very ill when we got him anyway.

Ok thanx. Hey its a hint anyways, I have a silvery white runner that I think is a drake as well... the rest are quacking, looking forward to eggs ...!

Back
Top Bottom