broody sat on the wrong eggs...what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whatthecluck, Sep 15, 2009.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    So she has been setting so diligently...she must have gotten up to eat sometime today and then went back and set on the new batch of eggs. The fertile eggs were cool to touch ...and of course she went back to them immediately when I picked the new eggs up.
    So do I go up tonight and try candling? Its been 11 days...what can I expect to see to know if they are OK?
    What if they are not OK? Do I order her day old hatched chicks somehow and slip them under her on hatch day and discard the eggs just so she will get babies after all her work?
    So mad at myself for not separating her right away [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd give the eggs a day or two, then candle. Give them a chance to get warm through and through before you disturb them. This has happened to others a lot and they often still get good hatches. Certainly not a time to panic.

Good luck!

Editted to add:
    Out of pure curiosity, what breed is she? It may just be me, but it seems that silkies do this a lot. Maybe that real strong broody instinct?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I agree..give them a day or 2..then candle. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:"Ruby" she is my barred rock. Super broody....but maybe not too smart [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by