Broody seems "unhappy" after being moved

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
The other day I noticed my favorite hen Sunshine was broody. She's a great momma, and has successfully hatched multiple clutches in the past, and took over another broody's nest after she quit mid hatch. I ordered some Serama hatching eggs for her to sit on, so she's been incubating an Easter egg and a golf ball for the last few days. Lol!
I decided to move her to our garage, since it would be easier to candle eggs and separate her, but the move doesn't seem to be going to well. She also picked the wettest spot in the entire coop, (we have a wire coop so no really walls. Just a secure wire structure with a Dogloo for shelter.) The water runs down the wire wall and soaks that corner outside the Dogloo. She was soaked this morning and I decided it would probably be a good idea to move her. I moved her into our garage at dark, onto her golf ball and Easter egg in a blanket covered crate. She ate and drake first, and then sat down in front of the food and waterer. She was still acting broody, puffing up and making broody clucks, but not sitting on the "eggs". I moved her onto the eggs and she sat down, but wasn't acting as "passionate" as before. She's still brooding, but she just doesn't seem happy? Its only been a few hours tonight so I'll see how she is in the morning, but I'm kinda planning on moving her back into the coop in a different spot. What do you guys think?

Last night I placed a real egg, and another golf ball in front of her to see if she would roll them under her. She pushed both away, but this morning both of the objects were gone dan underneath her. She's acting much more settled in now which I'm very happy about, but I'll see how she does for the rest of the day. Otherwise I'll see if I can make her preferred spot drier, because I really do want her to hatch this clutch. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom