Broody Silkie on hold

Lesia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
NC
My cutest Silkie went broody, but I don't have the right eggs to hatch for her yet. My old rooster was a bantam and I don't want his babies. I have ordered eggs online, of course its taking forever for them to be delivered - they should come in this week. Can she wait for about 10 days? Everyday we move her out of the empty nest for a walk, few times a day. She goes around eats, drinks for a minute and runs back to her pretend " babies". I hope this resets her clock, so when we do get the good eggs she will still be sitting for 21 days... Do I stand a chance? Or should look for an incubator?

Put some golf balls under her. She will not know the difference. I had a broody last spring who was broody for 90 days. I finally let her hatch some chicks. Others may not but try the golf balls. Worst Case you put those eggs in an incubator.

Welcome to the forum
welcome-byc.gif

ya.gif
Hello from Jacksonville
Caroline

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! She will be o.k. as long as you keep doing what you're doing, letting her
exercise and make sure she eats well. Hope your eggs come soon!

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC. Agree with everybody else, most silkies will stay broody close to forever, so an extra week or so probably won't matter to her. Just be sure she eats and drinks. Good luck with the hatch.

welcome-byc.gif
It's always a good idea to have a plan B in this instance an incubator in case things don't go as planned. Especially if the eggs you bought were expensive.

Thanks for all your replies, I sure got a bit more confidence reading your encouragements. No word per shipment still! Everyday gives me more worries. On top of everything we are expecting to have a first frost, unusually early. I dont know what I got myself into now...

By the way those eggs were quite expensive, "very rare" from mypetchicken.

Did any of you get their eggs and used a broody, not an incubator to hatch them at this time of year? How was it? What was your success rate?

This whole " modern" approach is new to me. I grew up with chicken, my grandma had them as the major part of our food supply. But it was much simpler back then...

Thanks again for your input!

Back
Top Bottom