broody silky died!

silki girl

Chirping
Nov 23, 2023
I had a silky hen that was so broody that I would not come out of her nest to eat and drink. so I took care of her every day. but when I came back the next day to take care of her she was dead! how? I took care of her every day by giving her food and water, taking out the eggs from under her and everything! I don't want that to happen with my other silky's.

I had a silky hen that was so broody that I would not come out of her nest to eat and drink. so I took care of her every day. but when I came back the next day to take care of her she was dead! how? I took care of her every day by giving her food and water, taking out the eggs from under her and everything! I don't want that to happen with my other silky's.
She may not have been broody. She may have been sick and hiding in the nest box or egg bound.
Did she ever act broody? When you removed eggs, how did they get there daily if she wasn't coming out? Did you ever see her poop? Did feel her crop/keel to know she was actually eating?

her crop was empty but when I started feeding her It got better. she might have been sick because her eyes were half open half closed. we have 24 chickens so it is basically impossible to know which poop was hers.

Back
Top Bottom