Broody silkie?

Hay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Ok, I have a little silkie hen named Batman(we thought she was a boy when she was a chick). Earlier today, Misty, our EE, came into the nest box and sat in it. I decided to let my chickens alone. When I came back to see if Misty still was in the box, and if she laid an egg without cackling, I saw Batman sitting in there instead! I decided to wait to see if she would get up and go free range again. Later, I checked, and she still was in there! She didn't move a muscle, and when I nudge her a bit, she doesn't move. However, Batman doesn't peck me or anything. She looks kinda bored and hunched over and sitting.

Do you think she is broody?
hu.gif

It's possible that she's thinking about being broody. Give her a couple more days. If she stays on the nest, you'll know. Broodies stay on the nest all day long, only coming off maybe once a day to eat, drink, and do their business. All night long, too.

Some will puff up, growl, and screech at you, but then, some others aren't so bad for doing that. Most of them will also pluck out their belly feathers, so if you notice that, don't be alarmed.
smile.png

I have a Red Cochin Bantam that did this same sort of thing and was broody. She was very broody for about 2 and a half weeks. We just left her alone and let her get over it herself. She didn't peck at me either. She would cluck when she did come off the nest...only to eat and drink. We don't have a rooster, but she would just sit on the nest as though she was hatching eggs. She did this even when there were no eggs in the nest. Silly chicken. ;p Mine would screech at the other hens, but not at us. Then again, she is very tame and lets us love on her and kiss her.
lol.png

I was wondering how long a broody chicken goes without laying eggs when they are broody. I miss my baby's brown eggs.
sad.png

Good luck with your broody hen, Hay...and that's funny...my last name is Hay. ;p

I think Batman's broody. I collected 2 eggs that day, and today she's doing it again! I took the eggs away, and she complains when I take her out of the nest, then goes right back inside!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom