broody silkie?

yesfantina

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
My white silke - Luna has gone 'broody' I think. She stays in her nest box all the time. She's all 'flat' when we take her out, tho after a few minutes, she gets up and eats a little and pecks around. This has been going on for about a week. We have no roosters and we're finding and removing about an egg a day now .. (i presume the slowdown from 3 eggs a day is because of winter)

I'm worried about her - is she eating / drinking enough? Especially now that it's getting cold out? Should we be trying to break her of this or does it just pass? Should I be worried or is this natural behavior?

Our 5 chickens were born may 5th - she's been laying for about a month and 1/2. ..
This is new to us.

Thanks for any advice.

Silkies are super a Super broody bunch, I would say she is showing classic signs of being a broody. I have 3 silkie broody's at the moment but I don't want chicks this time of the year so I keep taking all the eggs from them. They just got their last babies raised and want to do it all over again already. LOL

Just make sure that she has food and water available all the time and even if she just gets off the nest a couple of times a day to eat and potty she will be fine.
smile.png

I have had very little luck breaking a Silkie, so I gave up and just take the eggs away and they are all fine.

Back
Top Bottom