Previously broody

Luce

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
One of my hens went broody. After about a week of this I blocked her access to the nesting boxes. After about 4 days I allowed access again and she did not resume the behavior and all around resumed her normal behavior. It has been 3 weeks but she has yet to lay a single egg since then. Before this she laid almost every day, just those tiny eggs. Is this to be expected?

My serial broody was done brooding in August. She hasn't laid since and she was usually back to work in under a week.

I think this is due to the shortening hours of daylight and molting, even though her molt isn't nearly as bad as some of the other hens.

We are in the shortest days of the year, so I would not be surprised if she doesn't lay again until after the Solstice.

My serial broody was done brooding in August. She hasn't laid since and she was usually back to work in under a week.

I think this is due to the shortening hours of daylight and molting, even though her molt isn't nearly as bad as some of the other hens.

We are in the shortest days of the year, so I would not be surprised if she doesn't lay again until after the Solstice.
Thanks!

Tiny eggs?
How old is she, in months?
6 months. She started laying at 4 months. I have another from the same hatching who still has not laid at all. Is this normal? They are Speckled Sussex

Back
Top Bottom