Broody hen question!!

Jun 2, 2023
So one of my gamefowl hens was going broody and trying to steal eggs from a hen that was already sitting. We had to move her to a separate coop as she ended up breaking two of the eggs. After we moved her she didn’t want to sit anymore and became very flighty. We’ve since moved her back to her original coop about three days after. She used to lay almost an egg a day, but since then she has quit laying completely. That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is? Or know when I can expect her to resume laying?

A broody hen quits laying eggs, so she can concentrate on hatching eggs and then raising chicks. After she quits being broody, it can take her a while to start laying eggs again.

Moving your hen broke her broodiness, but I can't say how soon she will start laying again. Some hens start pretty quickly, and some take quite a while. For hens that go broody in late summer or in fall, some of them take the entire winter off before they start laying again.

If she seems healthy in other ways, you probably just need to wait until she gets around to laying again, whenever that may be.

A broody hen quits laying eggs, so she can concentrate on hatching eggs and then raising chicks. After she quits being broody, it can take her a while to start laying eggs again.

Moving your hen broke her broodiness, but I can't say how soon she will start laying again. Some hens start pretty quickly, and some take quite a while. For hens that go broody in late summer or in fall, some of them take the entire winter off before they start laying again.

If she seems healthy in other ways, you probably just need to wait until she gets around to laying again, whenever that may be.
Thank you so much! I had no idea

Back
Top Bottom